Friday 23 December 2011

Magic Bars


I figured it would be fitting that my first post to my blog would be of these Magic Bars. I don't remember what Christmas my mother began to make them, all I really know is that from that year forward they were a must have over the holidays.

Seriously. These bars are something else. Not only are they almost ridiculously easy to make, they're just as easy to eat. Ask my brother. One year he ate off a whole batch in a day.

The recipe is also easy to tweak. You could add different kinds of chocolate, or even dried fruits, and it would still come out amazing. The sweetened condensed milk is what makes it, I think. I mean, where could you go wrong with that?

To me, if you're in the kitchen and you find yourself with a bowl full of chocolate, skor, nuts and sweetened condensed milk, you're about to create something epic.


Magic Bars
adapted from Robin Hood's Quick and Easy Baking, 2003

Ingredients
1 1/2 cups semi sweet chocolate chips
3/4 cup flaked coconut (unsweetened)
3/4 cup Skor chips
1/4 cup white chocolate
1/2 cup sliced almonds (or pecans, or peanuts- any nut would work)
1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
1/3 cup granulated sugar
3/4 cup unsalted butter
1 can sweetened condensed milk

Directions
1. Preheat the oven to 350F. Grease a 13"x9" pan with butter.
2. Combine both kinds of chocolate chips, coconut, Skor and almonds in a bowl. Set aside.
3. Mix together the flour and sugar. Cut in the butter until the mix becomes crumbly. Press into the greased pan and bake for 10-12 minutes, or until the crust is light golden.
4. Pour the sweetened condensed milk over the crust. Top with the chocolate chip mixture and press down firmly.
5. Bake for 20-25 minutes, or until lightly browned. Cool and cut into bars.

Makes about 24-30 bars, depending on the size you cut it.

5 comments:

  1. Magically delicious, I'm sure :)
    Thanks for sharing the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, they are some sort of epic!

      Thanks for the comment~

      Delete
  2. Try them with an oreo cookie crust....OOOOOHHHH!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HOLY- that is an AMAZING IDEA!!!! I'm definitely gonna have to do that next time!

      Delete
  3. Have made these with a graham cracker crust..

    ReplyDelete